Give us your fookin' money. [Which charities to support?]

Taking Atheism Plus into the wider world.

Give us your fookin' money. [Which charities to support?]

Postby hyperdeath » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I have put up a sticky thread encouraging people to make Kiva loans. What other charities should the forum promote?

EDIT: I should add that there has already been some discussion about this, particularly in this thread.
hyperdeath
Site Admin

Re: Give us your fookin' money.

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:17 pm

I like Medecins san Frontieres. I haven't done a ton of research about them, but I also haven't heard anything bad about them. Thoughts?
Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?
Sparrowhawk

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 pm

I HAVE done a bunch of research on them, and they are on my list of yearly donations. Also, I have a friend who did work with them as a translator. Excellent, excellent group.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Re: [Charity] Give us your fookin' money.

Postby Catherine » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:02 pm

May be worth thinking about smaller charities too as it is easier for the big ones to get money anyway. We should particularly look at secular charities.

Shelter is a UK based secular charity against homelessness: http://www.shelter.org.uk/
Catherine
Global Moderator

Postby hyperdeath » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Catherine wrote:May be worth thinking about smaller charities too as it is easier for the big ones to get money anyway.

That's what I like about Kiva loans, in that it's essentially lots of good causes. I see your point though, and it may be a good idea to find an unusual charity which fills an overlooked gap.
hyperdeath
Site Admin

Postby karamea » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:01 pm

A relative of mine (a nurse) works for Medecins san Frontieres, and from everything I know they are definitely recommended; they also get brownie points for not using chuggers. (The ~without borders part of the English name has been borrowed by several other unrelated organizations, most annoyingly Homeopaths Without Borders).

You can join teams on Kiva; the Atheists, Agnostics(etc) team is currently beating out Kiva Christians by a reasonably wide margin. They also have a list of the local partners through which Kiva passes the money for the loans; some of them are religious and some secular but it's not made that clear on the Kiva website itself.
karamea

Postby Stepho » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 pm

I support RAINN.org which is the national sexual assault hotline. It's a toll free number anyone can call if they need help and it puts you in touch with a rape crisis center in your area. They also have a online hotline for people who prefer to contact them via the internet.
Stepho

Re: Give us your fookin' money. [Which charities to support?

Postby maiforpeace » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13&p=195&hilit=sunday+friends#p195

This is local to me of course, but what I think is so great about it is that it's NOT A CHARITY - it's a 'working' alternative to it. It's really a unique concept, and so many aspects of it meet our values. I highly recommend taking a close look at this, because it's also a growing non-profit - they just added two new locations.

And, more perfectly, to us as atheists, it's the superior alternative to what we should be doing on Sunday instead of going to church and praying.
maiforpeace

Postby Cipher » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:05 pm

I don't have any money at all to donate, but just wanted to throw in there that Planned Parenthood is a good choice.
Oh, I may be on the side of the angels - but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
Cipher

Postby Koinosuke » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm

I support Plan Canada and War Child. Both are good secular charities with excellent records.
Koinosuke

Postby hyperdeath » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Are there any international equivalents of Planned Parenthood or RAINN?
hyperdeath
Site Admin

Postby Mocha » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:10 pm

My SO and I recently moved, and in packing stuff up, we both realized how much stuff we have that we don't want/need that's still in great condition.

I've been trying to find places to donate clothing and other house stuff, and I've come up with Dress for Success, Clothing Donations, and Habitat for Humanity (although I don't like that Habitat resells stuff. I'd rather that they just give it to people).

Does anyone have any information on these or any ideas on other places to look? They seem (from a five min scan) like they aren't discriminatory, but I'd like more info before taking boxes for donation.
Misfortune shows those who are not really friends.-Aristotle
Mocha

Postby maiforpeace » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Mocha wrote:My SO and I recently moved, and in packing stuff up, we both realized how much stuff we have that we don't want/need that's still in great condition.

I've been trying to find places to donate clothing and other house stuff, and I've come up with Dress for Success, Clothing Donations, and Habitat for Humanity (although I don't like that Habitat resells stuff. I'd rather that they just give it to people).

Does anyone have any information on these or any ideas on other places to look? They seem (from a five min scan) like they aren't discriminatory, but I'd like more info before taking boxes for donation.

Regarding the clothing sales by Habitat for Humanity - "The proceeds fund local Habitat house construction" - which is a good thing - they are still giving the clothing away, essentially in another form, that's all.

When it comes to need, seems to me a home is even more desperately needed than used clothing, which is plentiful.
maiforpeace

Postby Onamission5 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 pm

I was just made aware of this by a friend from another board. It sounds like an awesome endeavor and she's putting out an open call for donations:

Ada Initiative

From the Who We Are page:

"The Ada Initiative is a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing the participation and status of women in open technology and culture, which includes open source software, Wikipedia and other open data, and open social media. We include trans women and genderqueer women in our mission."

Read more here
Donate here
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.
--Nelson Mandela
Onamission5

Location: a long way from where I was, but not quite where I want to be

Postby hyperdeath » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

I think that Fluevogs for Success is the perfect campaign. It's quirky, it's social justice oriented, it's multinational, and it has risen spontaneously from the same sea of frothing malice that spawned atheism plus.
hyperdeath
Site Admin

Postby Kassiane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 am

http://wearelumos.org/

Working on integrating children (particularly disabled, poor, and ethnic minority) children into their communities & families & shutting down institutions. European. It's JK Rowling's new thing.
I hate silence when it is a time for speaking-the original Kassiane, 9C
Kassiane

Postby noexitlovenow » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 am

With regards to whether there is an International Planned Parenthood, I have always linked Pathfinder International.

Here is the information from Charity Navigator:
Since 1957, Pathfinder International has maintained an unwavering belief in the right of women and families to have access to contraception and to quality reproductive health care. Pathfinder works in remote locations, under the most difficult conditions, serving the most vulnerable people. We collaborate with governments, NGOs, and community- and faith-based organizations to make contraception available and provide the quality care needed to ensure safe childbirth and healthy families. Working in countries with high prevalence of HIV/AIDS, we provide a continuum of HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment services and are expanding the integration of these services into reproductive health and family planning programs.

It currently has a score of 60.91 and receives 4 stars from Charity Navigator.

I did bold one bit. It doesn't concern me that it some times collaborates with faith-based organizations, but I thought I would make sure that wasn't hidden verbiage.
noexitlovenow

Postby Onamission5 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

FBB's Humanist Crisis Response team has vetted and selected two organizations to be recipients of funds donated toward the Moore, OK tornado relief effort: Operation USA and The Regional Food Back of Oklahoma.

Donate through Foundation Beyond Belief here, or donate directly through the links provided.
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.
--Nelson Mandela
Onamission5

Location: a long way from where I was, but not quite where I want to be

Postby ibbica » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Hey, folks, I know I don't post often, but I wanted to add my $0.02 here, because I'd like to encourage more people to donate to the Canadian Harambee Education Society. They provide scholarships for girls in Kenya and Tanzania to attend high school there, which is just all kinds of awesome :D They do also fund some special projects for schools (e.g. libraries, computer labs, dormitories) but the majority of their revenue seems to go straight to scholarships. Education is a cause near and dear to my heart, and this particular organization seems to be really excellent about making sure their monies do as much direct good as possible! Their Board of Directors are all volunteers; they spend a mere 5% of their revenue on 'overhead' and the rest goes to Africa, primarily for school fees.

They're based in Canada, so they're not listed by Charity Navigator, but their tax returns are available through the Canada Revenue Agency:
CRA Charities Listings
(search for 'harambee', or the direct link to their recent returns is here).
ibbica

Postby qmartindale » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 pm

I just learned about the following organization today:

http://www.givedirectly.org/ is a charity that focuses on direct transfers to households in Kenya and Uganda. Here's the wikipedia page. A while back I had criticized microlending organizations like Kiva, and this is exactly the sort of alternative I'd recommend instead.
qmartindale

Postby CharlieHale » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am

I like to support Broken Rainbow whenever I can. They're a UK-based LGBT Domestic Violence charity.
Queering the world, one post at a time.
CharlieHale

Postby Joelle Wyser-Pratte » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:02 am

I support the Ounavarra Foundation which is dedicated to supporting educational causes throughout the world.
Joelle Wyser-Pratte is the co-founder and co-managing partner of a broker dealer business in New York.
Joelle Wyser-Pratte

Postby ischemgeek » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 pm

In the Maritimes, prochoice charity ProchoiceNBChoix is about to launch a crowdfunding campaign to save the Morgentaler clinic. Follow on Twitter with #SaveTheClinic.
Image description of profile picture: A red d20 shown rolled to "1", with the caption "This is how I roll... unfortunately."
ischemgeek
Global Moderator

Postby ischemgeek » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Update on #savetheclinic: They've managed to secure enough funding to pay the lease! Next goal is another 85K to pay for the medical equipment on site, and ProchoixNBProchoice plans to turn the clinic into a not-for-profit women's health centre that offers abortion as one of many services.

The clinic will provide abortion access to women throughout the Maritimes and will also make specialized women's healthcare from nonjudgmental, pro-choice physicians accessible to women in the region.

Anything else extra, I've been told, will go to lobbying the government to repeal section 84-20, which illegally restricts funding to only those abortions performed in a hospital before 14 weeks by an OB/GYN after two physicians have signed off on it being medically necessary before 12 weeks of pregnancy. Which, since NB hospitals don't perform unfunded surgeries and no other abortion clinic exists in the province, is now the only way to get an abortion in NB. Which from what I can gather by researching American laws, is effectively more restrictive than any antiabortion law in the States.
Image description of profile picture: A red d20 shown rolled to "1", with the caption "This is how I roll... unfortunately."
ischemgeek
Global Moderator

Return to Organization, activism and charity