Support for Connecticut Shooting Victims

Taking Atheism Plus into the wider world.

Support for Connecticut Shooting Victims

Postby Grimalkin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:57 am

Just as a disclaimer up front; For this to take off I would need to have someone be willing to take over as a leader/manager/people-yelling-at-er. I don't have a consistent enough spoon supply to be able to be more than an idea person and a participant.

Crossposting from Crafting for Charity:

From the onion article on The Jesus Fuck Why Shootings;

Americans reported feelings of overwhelming disgust [...] above all with their own pathetic goddamn selves, sitting in front of a fucking computer instead of doing fucking anything to help anyone

It kind of makes me want to just do something because goddamn.

I wonder if perhaps us crafters could make some nice comforting things and send them to the families of the victims and the survivors? I want to help them because Fuck, and I can't think of anything else they'd need right now than just comfort.

Would anyone else be interested in helping the victims out like this? I'm thinking that a hand-made stuffed animal or pillow or blanket or something could be of help.

After a little bit of research I found two Atheist groups in Connecticut;
http://www.atheisthumanist.org/
http://www.cvatheists.org/portal/

I would imagine that they would have more connections locally and would be able to work with/through them to get support gifts to the families hurt. They'd give it a physical presence, too.

I'd recommend we work with the Atheist Humanist Society, personally. They seem to already be involved in community outreach more than CV Atheists.

We could also contact the school and see if they would be willing to work with us directly- but I have a feeling that that would be unwelcome stress at a time like this.

Anyways, if other people want to participate in this, we'll need someone who is able to do so to contact the Atheist groups (or just the Atheist Humanist Society) and see if they would be able/willing to work with us.
If you don't stir shit, it settles on the people at the bottom.
he pronouns plz
Grimalkin

Re: Support for Connecticut Shooting Victims

Postby Grimalkin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Okay, turns out much planning will not be necessary, because there is a Newtown charity that is accepting donations, which will be distributed to the affected families.

http://www.newtownyouthandfamilyservices.org

Somehow I actually had the ability to write emails today, and I sent them a question over if handmade gifts would be welcome donations (As opposed to just money donations, which is all they seem to mention on their site).

If they respond with yes I'm going to move this back to the normal crafting for charity thread, because it really wouldn't need a lot of planning anymore. :P
If you don't stir shit, it settles on the people at the bottom.
he pronouns plz
Grimalkin

Postby NoGodsNoMasters » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 pm

I can't wait to hear the result of your email. I hope they do accept comfort items because I went out and bought masses of (on sale) yarn today and I'm just itching to do something. And I want it to matter to someone.
"Justice is not a flexible tool. Unless we all do our part to ensure that justice is applied equally to all human beings, we are a party to its abuse. We must stand together to protect the rights of others." — Leonard Peltier
NoGodsNoMasters

Postby simpak » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:09 am

Grimalkin wrote:Just as a disclaimer up front; For this to take off I would need to have someone be willing to take over as a leader/manager/people-yelling-at-er. I don't have a consistent enough spoon supply to be able to be more than an idea person and a participant.

Crossposting from Crafting for Charity:

From the onion article on The Jesus Fuck Why Shootings;

Americans reported feelings of overwhelming disgust [...] above all with their own pathetic goddamn selves, sitting in front of a fucking computer instead of doing fucking anything to help anyone

It kind of makes me want to just do something because goddamn.

I wonder if perhaps us crafters could make some nice comforting things and send them to the families of the victims and the survivors? I want to help them because Fuck, and I can't think of anything else they'd need right now than just comfort.

Would anyone else be interested in helping the victims out like this? I'm thinking that a hand-made stuffed animal or pillow or blanket or something could be of help.

After a little bit of research I found two Atheist groups in Connecticut;
http://www.atheisthumanist.org/
http://www.cvatheists.org/portal/

I would imagine that they would have more connections locally and would be able to work with/through them to get support gifts to the families hurt. They'd give it a physical presence, too.

I'd recommend we work with the Atheist Humanist Society, personally. They seem to already be involved in community outreach more than CV Atheists.

We could also contact the school and see if they would be willing to work with us directly- but I have a feeling that that would be unwelcome stress at a time like this.

Anyways, if other people want to participate in this, we'll need someone who is able to do so to contact the Atheist groups (or just the Atheist Humanist Society) and see if they would be able/willing to work with us.

Id really like to help but Im from Philippines, How can I help?
simpak

Return to Organization, activism and charity