Fluevogs for Success?

Taking Atheism Plus into the wider world.

Fluevogs for Success?

Postby emptyell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm

In the wake of Fluevoggate I started wondering if it would make sense to do a fund raiser for http://www.dressforsuccess.org/ in honor of Greta.

For those who haven't heard there is a big brouhaha going on over at FTB about the manufactroversy over Greta Christina buying herself a nice pair of shoes. I'm too lazy to do links on my iPad at the moment but if you want to read a whole bunch of stupid about why cancer survivors shouldn't have nice things (at least not if their friends and fans helped them out) you can read the comments at Greta's, Ophelia's and Stephanie's blogs. Of course as I'm sure you've guessed it's not the friends and fans doing the complaining.
emptyell

Re: Fluevogs for Success?

Postby Eowyn Entwife » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:56 pm

emptyell wrote:For those who haven't heard there is a big brouhaha going on over at FTB about the manufactroversy over Greta Christina buying herself a nice pair of shoes. I'm too lazy to do links on my iPad at the moment but if you want to read a whole bunch of stupid about why cancer survivors shouldn't have nice things (at least not if their friends and fans helped them out) you can read the comments at Greta's, Ophelia's and Stephanie's blogs. Of course as I'm sure you've guessed it's not the friends and fans doing the complaining.

*headdesk*

I don't particularly want to read that stuff, but I suspect I will anyway...
Wowbagger@LousyCanuck: Here’s a novel thought: try contemplating the idea that there are people who aren’t you. No, really. Take your time. Once you’ve managed that and pondered the implications, maybe you’ll be able to grasp what’s going on here.

Preferred: she/her; also OK: xe/xir. Ask PM permission in-thread, as our rules say.
Eowyn Entwife

Postby emptyell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Eowyn Entwife wrote:
emptyell wrote:For those who haven't heard there is a big brouhaha going on over at FTB about the manufactroversy over Greta Christina buying herself a nice pair of shoes. I'm too lazy to do links on my iPad at the moment but if you want to read a whole bunch of stupid about why cancer survivors shouldn't have nice things (at least not if their friends and fans helped them out) you can read the comments at Greta's, Ophelia's and Stephanie's blogs. Of course as I'm sure you've guessed it's not the friends and fans doing the complaining.

*headdesk*

I don't particularly want to read that stuff, but I suspect I will anyway...

I wish I could send you some spare spoons.
emptyell

Postby ischemgeek » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm

TW sexism, classism. Short version: [ Show ]
Short version: People who ask for a helping hand even once can't have nice things, like shoes that won't wreck their joints. :roll:

And also: Shoes are a frivolity, even if they're needed for herr job because she's a woman.
Image description of profile picture: A red d20 shown rolled to "1", with the caption "This is how I roll... unfortunately."
ischemgeek
Global Moderator

Postby Sylvia Sybil » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Were you thinking cash, or...?
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. ―Elie Wiesel
I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel. ―Terry Pratchett
Libraries are places where the damaged go to find friends. ―Tamora Pierce
Sylvia Sybil

Postby ceepolk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I have personally benefitted from this charity.

They take clothing donations, but they are very label conscious when it comes to what they accept. They're only looking for business and work appropriate attire, and they're deathly picky about shoes in particular, amusingly enough. Fluevog was about the lowest quality they had. roll that around in your brain for a little while. I went home with three pairs of shoes and not a one of them retailed for less than $250.

That said, the main thing a personal shopper does is gently try to explain to you that it's all right to take so much stuff, that's what it's there for, and you're not cheating anyone else, and you deserve to have the clothes you're getting. It wasn't just me. There were four of us in with appointments at the same time, and every single one of us said the same thing: "You can't give me all this stuff, I don't deserve it."

They didn't let me out until I had a bit over a full week's worth of work clothes, and I had a second appointment in six months to do it AGAIN for the other season. It kind of blew my mind.
ceepolk
Global Moderator

Postby Avenel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:41 pm

I have a real affection for this charity. They helped out a friend of mine that had to go back to work after 10 years as a stay at home mom.
my blog, Expecting a Chilli Reception, where I share my passion for food.

I'm open to unsolicited PM's. I prefer he/his/him pronouns, but don't object to gender neutral ones.
Avenel

Postby emptyell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Sylvia Sybil wrote:Were you thinking cash, or...?

Well I got impatient so I went over and made a recurring donation in Greta's honor. That may be the simplest to do. They have a box for dedicating the gift.
emptyell

Postby Eowyn Entwife » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:48 pm

emptyell wrote:
Sylvia Sybil wrote:Were you thinking cash, or...?

Well I got impatient so I went over and made a recurring donation in Greta's honor. That may be the simplest to do. They have a box for dedicating the gift.

That sounds like a very nice idea, especially the dedication. Once we are quite clear on how we pay for the rest of the shower room repair/renovation, I think I'll do something similar.
Wowbagger@LousyCanuck: Here’s a novel thought: try contemplating the idea that there are people who aren’t you. No, really. Take your time. Once you’ve managed that and pondered the implications, maybe you’ll be able to grasp what’s going on here.

Preferred: she/her; also OK: xe/xir. Ask PM permission in-thread, as our rules say.
Eowyn Entwife

Postby Kassiane » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I love this idea. I will be throwing my whopping $5/month their way. In like 10 years they can buy shoes. (not being sarcastic. People fucking deserve help dammit)
I hate silence when it is a time for speaking-the original Kassiane, 9C
Kassiane

Postby emptyell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Kassiane wrote:I love this idea. I will be throwing my whopping $5/month their way. In like 10 years they can buy shoes. (not being sarcastic. People fucking deserve help dammit)

Great! Thanks for the support. I love the idea too. :D

I'm also try to wheedle my way to the folks at Fluevog to see if they are already contributing or would be willing to contribute. Seems like an obvious win-win for them.
emptyell

Postby hyperdeath » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 pm

This seems like the prime opportunity for a charity drive. We can use the incoherent rage of the Hoggle brigade as free advertising.

ETA:

Just donated to the UK branch of the charity.
hyperdeath
Site Admin

Postby smhll » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 am

This is an excellent idea!

I think I was reading about this on Ophelia Benson's blog at FtB this morning. One woman was really being a jerk (sorry for importing), but she got a big, valuable pile-on. I was thinking "this is what a pile-on should be" because it was all in support of Greta Christina.
smhll

Postby ceepolk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 am

yeah i'm reading that now. What a horrible, sad, pathetic creature that person is. what a miserable, hostile, uncaring world she lives in.

and how few fucks i give because wow, what an unlikeable douche.
ceepolk
Global Moderator

Postby Koinosuke » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 pm

I think I lost my mind reading about this. I would love to participate. I need to restore my sanity.
Koinosuke

Postby emptyell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Don't forget the dedication to Greta (if you feel so inclined).

If you want to send an ecard her email address* as posted at her blog is: greta (at) gretachristina (dot) com

* Since she has this openly posted over there I assume it is ok to put it here.
emptyell

Postby Maistra » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 am

Definitely a fan of this idea!

I think the statement that annoyed me the most about Fluevoggate was "Remember, e-beg for money when there's a cancer scare..." etc.
Since when is HAVING CANCER and invasive surgery a scare?
Maistra

Postby Stephen T » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 am

Greta has posted on this.

But some people on Atheism+ have been organizing an interesting response to the non-troversy that’s caught my imagination, and I wanted to spread the word.

Cee's comment is on her blog.
Stephen T

Postby SubMor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 am

Greta Christina wrote:Oh, FYI: You know that offer I made in response to the non-troversy, to refund any donations made during my cancer fundraiser to anyone who wasn’t happy with how I’ve been spending my money? As of this writing, the number of people who have taken me up on that offer: Exactly zero.

When does the surprise kick in? I'm pretty sure that when you hear this kind of completely unexpected news, you're supposed to feel some kind of surprise. Maybe I'd better go sit down and wait for it.
he pronouns; random PMs are fine
SubMor
Global Moderator

Postby emptyell » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Is there any way we can, ethically of course, keep the haters on message? Of course it would be ok if this fizzles but as long as we're manufacturing controversy and promoting a worthwhile cause...

Perhaps on twitter. Never done it myself though. Wouldn't know where to start.
emptyell

Postby oolon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 pm

It occurs to me that we could also promote one of the charities that Greta already donated her excess to --> Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Light the Night Walk via the Foundation Beyond Belief. http://foundationbeyondbelief.org/LLS-lightthenight

Especially given Renees tweets were a key part of creating the "controversy" and ironically she made reference to her partner having a preliminary diagnosis of Lymphoma... I assume she missed that Greta had given an update to say excess had already gone to that charity and camp quest. But there is a chance they would promote giving to that cause in Renee's partners name and Greta's, I already punted some their way in Greta's name so maybe they could match it for Renee and her bloke.

I would tweet to her but she's blocked me.. After one exchange where I disagreed with her and there were no insults! Freeze Peach!
oolon

Postby sisu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 pm

oolon wrote:I would tweet to her but she's blocked me.. After one exchange where I disagreed with her and there were no insults! Freeze Peach!

:lol: CENSORSHIP!!!
sisu

Postby Eowyn Entwife » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:39 pm

oolon, you do realize that it would be awfully Christian of us to dedicate our donations to the Lymphoma society as, for example, "A+ chipping in for Renee Hendricks' guy" and emailing that to ... drat, can't find an email address.

I mean wouldn't that be awfully like "Love thy enemy" (Matthew 5:44), "Turn the other cheek" (Matthew 5:39) and "Heap fiery coals on [the enemy's] head" (Romans 12:20)... ;) :P

Oh well, if we manage to pile in enough cash, maybe we can get the numbers for the "A+ chipping in for Renee Hendricks' guy" campaign published by the charity? Only that would be mean... or would it?

Eowyn Entwife

Postby hyperdeath » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 pm

emptyell wrote:Is there any way we can, ethically of course, keep the haters on message? Of course it would be ok if this fizzles but as long as we're manufacturing controversy and promoting a worthwhile cause...

Perhaps on twitter. Never done it myself though. Wouldn't know where to start.

Over at Greta's article, I've asked if we can put up some kind of banner that plays up to the hater campaign. It would be a shame to waste their free advertising.

Edited to add:

I'd like to thank Abbie Smith, for implying that Greta didn't have cancer at all*. (In a post mocking Greta's choice of shoes, she put the word cancer in scare quotes.) Keep up the good work Abbie!

* True to form, her cronies are now denying any such implication. Their excuses are about as convincing as someone trying to explain away a Mafia threat by saying, "that nice Mr. Corleone was merely commenting on the importance of good fire precautions".
hyperdeath
Site Admin

Postby Cipher » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

This is brilliant, emptyell.
Oh, I may be on the side of the angels - but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
Cipher

Next

Return to Organization, activism and charity