Help test the OpenDyslexia font

The main forum for discussing social justice and the "plus" part of Atheism Plus.

Help test the OpenDyslexia font

Postby Pteryxx » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:08 am

Jason Thibealt's collecting feedback from anyone with dyslexia willing to try this font and test how well it improves readability for them. The OpenDyslexia font is an open source project with several apps supported , and Jason Thibeault is considering whether to install an OpenDyslexia-based theme on the FTB network.

Give feedback here:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... s-for-you/

OpenDyslexic project: http://dyslexicfonts.com/

Your brain can sometimes do funny things to letters. OpenDyslexic tries to help prevent some of these things from happening. Letters have heavy weighted bottoms to add a kind of "gravity" to each letter, helping to keep your brain from rotating them around in ways that can make them look like other letters. Consistently weighted bottoms can also help reinforce the line of text. The unique shapes of each letter can help prevent flipping and swapping.
Did you just type a whole bunch of words? Want to help transcribe videos and podcasts for Deaf/HoH people? A+Scribe needs volunteers; see the Drafting and transcriptions subforum.

---
Avatar by Surly Amy, CC pics here: Flickr set
Pteryxx

Re: Help test the OpenDyslexia font

Postby Kassiane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:13 am

I'm not dyslexic (but have other visual perceptual issues, especially when reading black on white) & that's the best fucking font ever.
I hate silence when it is a time for speaking-the original Kassiane, 9C
Kassiane

Postby ischemgeek » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:26 am

I am going to have to recommend that to a friend of mine who has dyslexia. Hers is really bad, so she has a hard time with reading when she's flustered, and maybe this might help.
Image description of profile picture: A red d20 shown rolled to "1", with the caption "This is how I roll... unfortunately."
ischemgeek
Global Moderator

Postby Contiguous » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:17 pm

-
Last edited by Contiguous on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contiguous

Postby Pteryxx » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm not dyslexic, and I find the font a little harder to read than other fonts.

Heh, well it's not designed for you, all due respect. It's designed specifically to compensate for the processing problems of dyslexia, as an accommodation available to those who need it.
Did you just type a whole bunch of words? Want to help transcribe videos and podcasts for Deaf/HoH people? A+Scribe needs volunteers; see the Drafting and transcriptions subforum.

---
Pteryxx

Postby ischemgeek » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 pm

I have a thought: Is there a way you could make a user-enableable skin such that all the fonts were in that font for those who want it? That'd be cool.

Otherwise, I wouldn't object to replacing the font here with it if it helps other people read.
Image description of profile picture: A red d20 shown rolled to "1", with the caption "This is how I roll... unfortunately."
ischemgeek
Global Moderator

Postby Pteryxx » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Otherwise, I wouldn't object to replacing the font here with it if it helps other people read.

I guess it'd take incorporating that font into a specific OpenDyslexia phpBB theme, which would then be a user choice in Themes along with the high-visibility and low-contrast themes and such?

---
Pteryxx

Postby ischemgeek » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:02 pm

I have no clue. Programming and forum maintenance are about as outside my realm of expertise as something techy can be. I'll set up a thread in Forum Matters and see what the Admins think.
ischemgeek
Global Moderator

Postby Flewellyn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:05 pm

There are browser plugins like GreaseMonkey or Stylish which can let you override the stylesheet on a particular page, to set the font how you like it, for example. Or any page, if you like.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby ceepolk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:39 pm

okay so I'm going to see what extension will let me override all the fonts with OpenDyslexia, and try running everything with it.

i don't have dyslexia. but I do misread words with hilarious results. I want to see if the font helps reduce the number of times i misread a word, just for personal interests and curiosity, nothing scientific at all.
ceepolk
Global Moderator

Postby neonchamleon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 pm

It feels as if every single word has been nailed to the page. Not something I need or even like but I'll try it on my sisters (who, like me, are dyslexic - but I'm also a voracious reader). I can feel what it would do if you need it.
neonchamleon

Postby ceepolk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I will add that chrome has an extension called OpenDyslexia already!

but I'm not using it because it does things to the colours that make this not-dyslexic person hhave a hhard time reading with it on. but that's fine, because the extension isn't actually for me anyway!
ceepolk
Global Moderator

Return to Atheism Plus