Could a moderator post the content of my post in the right f

Forum related matters, such as technical problems, user accounts and comment moderation.

Could a moderator post the content of my post in the right f

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:04 am

My post was declined as off topic. I would appreciate it if a moderator could post the content here (so that I can post it in the right location), or if a moderator could post it in the correct forum.
Curious
Banned User

Re: Could a moderator post the content of my post in the rig

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 am

We don't have the ability to recover the contents of a declined post.

You can post it again in this forum, or just go put a shorter version on the "are the moderators capricious and biased?" thread.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:11 am

Are you serious? I spent time writing that and it's just gone? How can we verify that it was of topic?

Why didn't they approve it and move it?
Curious
Banned User

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:17 am

I felt the post was off-topic, and inflammatory and nitpicking besides. Also, a bit heavy on the teal deer. Brevity is the soul of wit, and also of clarity.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby Cipher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 am

Are you serious? I spent time writing that and it's just gone?

Try composing your posts in a word processing program or notepad to prevent this problem in the future, if you're worried about it. *shrug*
Oh, I may be on the side of the angels - but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
Cipher

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 am

So, exactly how do I appeal this - if we don't have the content anywhere?
Curious
Banned User

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 am

I'll do that in the future. I've done that elsewhere...but it doesn't solve this issue. Even if I had the original content, we have no way of verifying that what I cut/paste is the same as the original.

We only ever have Flewellyn's stated opinion that "I felt the post was off-topic, and inflammatory and nitpicking besides. Also, a bit heavy on the teal deer. Brevity is the soul of wit, and also of clarity."

As someone who owns and has run a PHPBB, I would have expected an off-topic post to simply be moved to the correct forum - not deleted outright.
Curious
Banned User

Postby ceepolk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:31 am

Curious wrote:Are you serious? I spent time writing that and it's just gone? How can we verify that it was of topic?

Why didn't they approve it and move it?

Lazarus Form Recovery is a useful addon in situations like these. It's also available as a Chrome Extension.

But there is also the possibility that your message was not only off-topic for the thread and forum, but off-topic for all of the forums. If you were looking to debate the validity of the basic understanding that people gathering here are already on board with social justice issues, then you're completely in the wrong place to be having the kind of conversation you want.

Though I don't really know where you would go instead. Maybe someone else will come along and have suggestions.
ceepolk
Global Moderator

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:33 am

My post was questioning the merits of a ban - in the thread where the ban occurred referencing the specific subjects surrounding that ban.
Curious
Banned User

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:37 am

For the record: Curious' post was objecting, in minute detail, to the banning of Skep TIckle in the "Petition to remove MRA Vacula from SCA leaderrship"[sic] thread. It was overly long, derailing, nitpicky, and would not have added anything to the conversation. To be charitable to a new user, I just classified it as "off-topic", but really, it wasn't the sort of thing that would really be "on-topic" for any forum.

If you want to know why a user was banned, you can ask, but don't come in and challenge us mods as if we don't know what we're doing. In particular, don't whinge.

This whole thread? Whinging.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 am

I had another post here, asking how I can go about appealing this. Could you address that, please?
Curious
Banned User

Postby Cipher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 am

Curious wrote:My post was questioning the merits of a ban - in the thread where the ban occurred referencing the specific subjects surrounding that ban.

Would be obnoxious anywhere, but belongs in the Are the Mods Capricious thread, as Flewellyn pointed out to you in his first response to you on this thread, when he invited you to post a shorter and therefore presumably less annoying version of your post there. Clear now?

About appealing what? The removal of your post? What would be the point, if it's gone? O.o
Oh, I may be on the side of the angels - but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
Cipher

Postby The_Laughing_Coyote » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 am

I concur. This is a stupid, pointless, unnecessary thread.

Curious, your post got unapproved because it was a long winded pile of crap.

I had another post here, asking how I can go about appealing this. Could you address that, please?

I thought Flew already told you that it can't be retrieved? Why not just take a hint and go be obnoxious in the designated thread for whining at mods?
But Setar, how can you say the police persecute the poor when the the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges?

-Qmartindale, quoting Anatole France

"Well, it looks like the airplanes got him." "No, it wasn't the airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast!"

-King Kong
The_Laughing_Coyote

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 am

Curious wrote:I had another post here, asking how I can go about appealing this. Could you address that, please?

What is there to appeal? If it's gone, it's gone.

If, by some quirk, I am wrong, and the post is not gone, I would need to ask an administrator to retrieve it for me. There are currently none logged in. When one does log in, and sees this thread, they may opt to tell me how to retrieve the post, or retrieve it for me. IF, that is, they decide that I was wrong, and your post should have been approved.

Now, just ask yourself this question: how well do you think your posts here, on this thread, will convince said administrator to overrule me?
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:49 am

Wow. Just wow.

The question was posed to expose the problem of having a post deleted by a single moderator - there's no way to appeal it. Even if I had the content, I can't demonstrate that it's what I originally posted. Meanwhile, The_Laughing_Cow comes in to claim that my post - which they couldn't have seen - was a long winded pile of crap.

This is the way you treat new people - people who ask legitimate questions and who were trying to help?

And now Flewellyn is implying that my posts here would have some bearing on whether or not they should be overruled on the original topic...

Pro-tip ... remember this thread.
Curious
Banned User

Postby Cipher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 am

The question was posed to expose the problem of having a post deleted by a single moderator - there's no way to appeal it.

If that was your purpose in asking the question, you were being disingenuous.
Stop digging.
Cipher

Postby SubMor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 am

Curious wrote:This is the way you treat new people - people who ask legitimate questions and who were trying to help?

You know what serves as a functional one-way ticket to don't-take-me-seriously-ville? Saying you have "legitimate questions" and are just "trying to help" by showing up and demonstrating what a smart person you are. Instead of, you know, actually participating in the community.
he pronouns; random PMs are fine
SubMor
Global Moderator

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 am

You should probably know who you're talking to before making accusations about actually participating in the community.
It might be nice if you knew the content of the original post before disregarding it.

Sincerely,
Matt Dillahunty
Curious
Banned User

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 am

Curious wrote:You should probably know who you're talking to before making accusations about actually participating in the community.
It might be nice if you knew the content of the original post before disregarding it.

Sincerely,
Matt Dillahunty

PFFFFFTTT...BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*looks again*

...AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh, man. That's rich. HAHAHAHA. Well-done, sir! That's the first amusing whinge you've had here!

Sir, I know Matt Dillahunty. I've read Matt Dillahunty. Matt Dillahunty is a good man.

Sir, you're no Matt Dillahunty.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby eNeMeE » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:01 am

Could someone just kill it?
The preceding post represents only my interpretation/understanding of whatever I was talking about; no link should be made to anyone else, particularly A+ as a whole

I make horrible jokes. kindly throw something at me if it's too terrible
eNeMeE

Postby The_Laughing_Coyote » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:02 am

The question was posed to expose the problem of having a post deleted by a single moderator - there's no way to appeal it. Even if I had the content, I can't demonstrate that it's what I originally posted. Meanwhile, The_Laughing_Cow comes in to claim that my post - which they couldn't have seen - was a long winded pile of crap.

Are you serious? I spent time writing that and it's just gone?

So does it really take you enough time to type out a brief and to the point summary of your complaint that you have to make a whole thread to whine about it?

You should probably know who you're talking to before making accusations about actually participating in the community.

Sincerely,
Matt Dillahunty

I dunno who Matt Dillahunty is.

Why should I give a fuck, 'Matt'?
But Setar, how can you say the police persecute the poor when the the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges?

"Well, it looks like the airplanes got him." "No, it wasn't the airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast!"

-King Kong
The_Laughing_Coyote

Postby Cipher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:03 am

Curious wrote:You should probably know who you're talking to before making accusations about actually participating in the community.

O.o Are you misunderstanding what's being said to you?
Under this nym, you're not participating in this community - as far as I can see, you're just complaining about it. That's not an accusation, it's an observation of your posts so far.
Cipher

Postby maiforpeace » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 am

Sincerely,
Matt Dillahunty

Really? So Curious, I guess that makes you a sockpuppet then. Matt Dillahunty is a member here.

Hi From Austin, Texas
maiforpeace

Postby The_Laughing_Coyote » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 am

Well Mai, now I know who Matt Dillahunty is. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Edit: Guess I was wrong here.
Last edited by The_Laughing_Coyote on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

-King Kong
The_Laughing_Coyote

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:08 am

Go check my twitter.
Curious
Banned User

Next

Return to Forum matters