Documented Harassment Link Roundup (trigger warning!)

The place to ask questions about the basic values of Atheism Plus, feminism and social justice.

Documented Harassment Link Roundup (trigger warning!)

Postby OneThousandNeedles » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:47 pm

TRIGGER WARNING: Examples of Harassment

Whenever a blog post broaches the subjects of harassment or sexism within the atheist/skeptic community, there will inevitably be commenters demanding evidence, as if evidence had never been presented in a prior discussion.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think all of these demands are honest questions. Sometimes they are to silence a commenter or derail a discussion. However, I think there is a solution to dealing with both the honest and dishonest demands for evidence, and that is the point of this thread.

The Documented Harassment Link Roundup

I'd like to gather links to all of the publicly available examples of harassment within the atheist and skeptic community. Let me repeat: This thread is explicitly for publicly available, published information. My hope is that, in being able to link to a single thread that documents harassment in the atheist/skeptic community, we can prevent threads from being derailed when yet another demand for evidence appears.

Here's what I've got so far:

Edit: as links get posted, I'll add them to this list so that they are easier to find.
Last edited by OneThousandNeedles on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
OneThousandNeedles

Re: Documented Harassment Link Roundup (trigger warning!)

Postby trinioler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Here's an example that showed up on twitter: https://twitter.com/MelodyHensley/statu ... 48/photo/1
Preferred pronouns: Ask me.
trinioler

Postby OneThousandNeedles » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm adding Stephanie Zvan's latest blog post to this list. It documents some of the continued harassment Jen McCreight has received since she decided to stop blogging yesterday.
OneThousandNeedles

Postby Ginny » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Finally (sorry for the delay) split this topic off from the derail that took it over. Carry on with your documenting!
Ginny
Global Moderator

Postby mdevile » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:06 am

Does Thunderf00t's blog entry calling Surly Amy a whining "victim" qualify as part of the harassment campaign?
mdevile

Return to Information and answers