Economics resources

Discuss what's going on in the world.

Re: Economics resources

Postby Setar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:49 am

Flewellyn wrote:
Ketsan wrote:How can you understand critiques if you do not understand what is being critiqued? How do you know your critiques are valid unless you're aware of the counters to your critiques?


For the sake of all that is fuck, READ THE OP. They already said that they heard all about supply-side, and monetarism, and the Austrian "school", and all that crap. They DO understand what is being critiqued.

Sheesh, it's like dealing with a fundagelical evangelist. "But maybe you haven't heard my particular extra-special apologetics!"

1973: The Keynesian's Worst Nightmare
"...authoritarian followers feel empowered to isolate and segregate, to humiliate, to persecute, to beat, and to kill in the middle of the night, because in their heads they can almost hear the loudspeakers announcing, “Now batting for God’s team, his designated hitter, (their name).”" -Bob Altemeyer, The Authoritarians
pronouns: she
User avatar
Setar
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Unceded Kwantlen, Katzie, Matsqui & Semiahmoo land (Langley, British Columbia)

Re: Economics resources

Postby Ketsan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:51 am

Flewellyn wrote:
Ketsan wrote:How can you understand critiques if you do not understand what is being critiqued? How do you know your critiques are valid unless you're aware of the counters to your critiques?


For the sake of all that is fuck, READ THE OP. They already said that they heard all about supply-side, and monetarism, and the Austrian "school", and all that crap. They DO understand what is being critiqued.

Sheesh, it's like dealing with a fundagelical evangelist. "But maybe you haven't heard my particular extra-special apologetics!"



I'm not the one slinging the insults.
Ketsan
Banned User
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Economics resources

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:52 am

What does that have to do with, well, anything?
User avatar
Flewellyn
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2808
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: The Frozen North

Re: Economics resources

Postby Setar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 am

Ketsan wrote:
Flewellyn wrote:
Ketsan wrote:How can you understand critiques if you do not understand what is being critiqued? How do you know your critiques are valid unless you're aware of the counters to your critiques?


For the sake of all that is fuck, READ THE OP. They already said that they heard all about supply-side, and monetarism, and the Austrian "school", and all that crap. They DO understand what is being critiqued.

Sheesh, it's like dealing with a fundagelical evangelist. "But maybe you haven't heard my particular extra-special apologetics!"



I'm not the one slinging the insults.

I'm sorry, are you offended? Oh dear. Are you going to call in your attack dogs on us for insulting you? Riot police? Oh, I'm so scared of the ivory tower theologian! He has BANANAS up there! -chortles-
"...authoritarian followers feel empowered to isolate and segregate, to humiliate, to persecute, to beat, and to kill in the middle of the night, because in their heads they can almost hear the loudspeakers announcing, “Now batting for God’s team, his designated hitter, (their name).”" -Bob Altemeyer, The Authoritarians
pronouns: she
User avatar
Setar
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Unceded Kwantlen, Katzie, Matsqui & Semiahmoo land (Langley, British Columbia)

Re: Economics resources

Postby TomT64 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 am

TomT64
Site Admin
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Economics resources

Postby Ketsan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 am

Setar wrote:

I'm sorry, are you offended? Oh dear. Are you going to call in your attack dogs on us for insulting you? Riot police? Oh, I'm so scared of the ivory tower theologian! He has BANANAS up there![/quote]


I don't understand why I would be offended. I don't know what your education system is like but here if you do further education in preparation for going to university you have it hammered into you that you look at both sides of the argument before reaching a conclusion; so for me this is a fairly uncontroversial thing. So when I see you ripping the piss out of me for suggesting something that the majority of British 16-17 year old students do as a matter of course you come across as I would expect a fifteen year old to. I expect mid-teens to resort to piss taking and hurling abuse; that's just the way of teenagers. A cocky teenager or someone with the behavioral patterns of a cocky teenager who clearly can't help themselves and who strikes me as someone who is really here for their own amusement isn't someone I can take seriously enough to take offense from.

You're holding yourself up, and I can see you're passionate which I can sort of respect you for, as some kind of social justice campaigner/supporter........are you getting the irony yet? I wish you were on the opposing side though; it would make our job a lot easier. You're a pastiche of everything negative that's said about A+ you're a poster boy for it, in fact. This is separate from our obvious philosophical disagreements which I'm not talking about here, you disagree with me, fine, there was a time when I would have completely agreed with you and I can respect decent people who simply see things differently from me.

Belittling people for disagreeing though? What's that all about really? How does that square with social justice? Belittling people is obviously doing something for you on an emotional level or else you wouldn't do it and for me that kind of display is just self-nullifying; to me it gives off a sense that you feel quite weak and by being an arse on the internet you feel strong. There's no rational need for that kind of thing either and so it reinforces my perception that really it's just an irrational, self indulgent outburst. It's not even like you can rationally manage your own feelings. I doubt you even really care that I disagree with you; I think that's just an excuse to get your power trip.
Ketsan
Banned User
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Economics resources

Postby Flewellyn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:56 am

Ketsan, don't mistake our criticism of your ideas, or our derision at your responses, for personal attacks. They weren't. We were expressing exasperation that you apparently had not read the OP, and were not providing links which were helpful given the OP's request. That's not a personal attack.

On the other hand, what you just posted, was.

I must ask you to refrain from such.
User avatar
Flewellyn
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2808
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: The Frozen North

Re: Economics resources

Postby Cipher » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:01 am

Belittling people is obviously doing something for you on an emotional level or else you wouldn't do it and for me that kind of display is just self-nullifying; to me it gives off a sense that you feel quite weak and by being an arse on the internet you feel strong.

Ha! Well, your evidence might be bullshit, your economic view immature and faith-based, but I gotta give you some props for those projection skills.
Oh, I may be on the side of the angels - but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
User avatar
Cipher
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Re: Economics resources

Postby Setar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 am

Ketsan wrote:I don't understand why I would be offended.

Because I'm not giving your theology the time of day.

Ketsan wrote:I don't know what your education system is like but here if you do further education in preparation for going to university you have it hammered into you that you look at both sides of the argument before reaching a conclusion;

Looks like the OP has already done that. Hell, if you'll read the OP, it's pointed out that many economists have done so as well, to the point where it's hard to find a good takedown because economists that aren't dishonest hacks take the takedown for granted.

Furthermore, you've already had your crap debunked in a previous thread here, and after that went on long enough I made one in the educational forum to discuss libertarianism. I linked you to that thread already. If you think you can somehow salvage the piss-poor job you've already done at defending libertarianism, do it there. Coming in here and dumping sophisticated theology is derailing.

Ketsan wrote:So when I see you ripping the piss out of me for suggesting something that the majority of British 16-17 year old students do as a matter of course you come across as I would expect a fifteen year old to. I expect mid-teens to resort to piss taking and hurling abuse; that's just the way of teenagers. A cocky teenager or someone with the behavioral patterns of a cocky teenager who clearly can't help themselves and who strikes me as someone who is really here for their own amusement isn't someone I can take seriously enough to take offense from.

Is that your argument?

Ketsan wrote:You're holding yourself up, and I can see you're passionate which I can sort of respect you for, as some kind of social justice campaigner/supporter........are you getting the irony yet? I wish you were on the opposing side though; it would make our job a lot easier. You're a pastiche of everything negative that's said about A+ you're a poster boy for it,

Thanks for outing yourself, troll.

Ketsan wrote:Belittling people for disagreeing though?

Hi, my name is Ketsan, I completely ignore threads where I've had my ideology trashed out of the main forum because I am never ever wrong.

Ketsan wrote:What's that all about really?

You being a dishonest jackass.

Ketsan wrote:How does that square with social justice?

Your sophisticated theological crap is what gets in the way of social justice.

Ketsan wrote:Belittling people is obviously doing something for you on an emotional level or else you wouldn't do it and for me that kind of display is just self-nullifying; to me it gives off a sense that you feel quite weak and by being an arse on the internet you feel strong.

Argument to avoid: Derailing for Dummies -- "You're Being Overemotional"

Ketsan wrote:There's no rational need for that kind of thing either and so it reinforces my perception that really it's just an irrational, self indulgent outburst.

Argument to avoid: "I Am Being More Rational Than You".[/quote]

Seriously, man, if you're going to stick to this boilerplate your remaining posts here are numbered.

Ketsan wrote:It's not even like you can rationally manage your own feelings. I doubt you even really care that I disagree with you; I think that's just an excuse to get your power trip.

Yeah, because you're not trying to exercise a power trip at all by coming into every thread that repudiates libertarianism with your long winded crap, all of which reads as follows:

Ketsan wrote:SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP STOP SAYING LIBERTARIANISM IS WRONG JUST STOP STOP STOP NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW! RESPECT ME! RESPECT ME! DON'T INSULT ME! TAKE ME SERIOUSLY EVEN AFTER I'VE SPENT SO MANY POSTS OUTRIGHT DISMISSING AND CONDESCENDING TO YOU! I'M RIGHT! OR I MIGHT BE RIGHT! BUT YOU CAN'T CALL ME WRONG BECAUSE THAT'S CLOSED-MINDED! YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE OPPOSING ARGUMENTS EVEN IF THEY'VE BEEN DEBUNKED AS MUCH AS CREATIONISM! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH LEEEEEETTTTT MEEEEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN -bang bang slam bang-


No. Fuck off. We don't need you, and no, your tantrums don't look any less so just because you're not yelling.
"...authoritarian followers feel empowered to isolate and segregate, to humiliate, to persecute, to beat, and to kill in the middle of the night, because in their heads they can almost hear the loudspeakers announcing, “Now batting for God’s team, his designated hitter, (their name).”" -Bob Altemeyer, The Authoritarians
pronouns: she
User avatar
Setar
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Unceded Kwantlen, Katzie, Matsqui & Semiahmoo land (Langley, British Columbia)

Re: Economics resources

Postby Zagloba » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Oy... get swamped with work for a couple days and this place livens right up.

Thanks for fighting the good fight Flewellyn and Setar.
Postulating a god is like postulating an elementary embedding of the universe to itself: it's incompatible with choice.
User avatar
Zagloba
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 am

Previous

Return to Politics and current affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kassiane and 0 guests