You screwed Matt Dillahunty

Forum related matters, such as technical problems, user accounts and comment moderation.

You screwed Matt Dillahunty

Postby trufuknplaya » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 pm

You mods are intellectual peons. You just cost yourselves one of the most brilliant minds of this decade. Congratulations, your forum is worthless.
trufuknplaya

Re: You screwed Matt Dillahunty

Postby Flewellyn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Your concern is noted. Thank you for sharing.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby Grimalkin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Guys, this is serious. I hear that Matt's dad is gonna come beat up our dad.
If you don't stir shit, it settles on the people at the bottom.
he pronouns plz
Grimalkin

Postby Stephen T » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Grimalkin wrote:Guys, this is serious. I hear that Matt's dad is gonna come beat up our dad.

He'll have to beat up all our dads...
Stephen T

Postby captainmjs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:05 pm

:lol: I like Matt too but
one of the most brilliant minds of this decade
is stretching it a bit.
captainmjs

Postby TheDisappointed » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

While I disagree with the way they handled the situation (according to Matt's account on Youtube), this isn't the way to help him.

If you're trying to make things worse, then you are on the right path.
TheDisappointed

Postby trufuknplaya » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:38 pm

He has a show. I have yet to see you twits come up with anything nearly as compelling as what he does. According to what I've read, all you guys do is muck around your own little private club and say nothing compelling about atheism.
trufuknplaya

Postby GreatBlueHeron » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:50 pm

... and Jebus wept.
GreatBlueHeron

Postby maiforpeace » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:17 pm

He wasn't regular a poster - had nothing invested in this forum, and clearly doesn't want to invest any thing more in this forum than what's necessary to mitigate whatever damage might have been done to his reputation.

Anyway, since a lot of people here feel screwed (not just one), I'll be generous to him and call it a draw. :roll:
maiforpeace

Postby captainmjs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 pm

by trufuknplaya:

He has a show.

No, he's on a show that he didn't start but he is very good on but it is in no way his show. Love the Atheist Experience though.

I have yet to see you twits come up with anything nearly as compelling as what he does.

If you mean this forum then no but Atheism Plus has a broad membership that have made plenty of accomplishments. I keep hearing their are videos on this site but I have no idea where they supposedly are. They really do need to add some cool shit to this site. I'm thinking atheist comedy videos but I'm biased.

According to what I've read, all you guys do is muck around your own little private club and say nothing compelling about atheism.

:lol: You're ignorance is even more astounding than mine then.
captainmjs

Postby thecynicalromantic » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm

So, to paraphrase: "You pissed of one single individual dude, therefore the entire forum of hundreds of people can't possibly accomplish a single thing of even the smallest value! Any thing that any one of these hundreds of people do in their lives that might have otherwise had value is instantly negated because you pissed off ONE DUDE."

See, this is why I hate New Atheism. By providing authority figures, it infested the movement with authoritarians. Authoritarian atheists make my teeth hurt.

BRB, going to do shots until I forget about having read this.
thecynicalromantic

Postby Grimalkin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 pm

thecynicalromantic wrote:See, this is why I hate New Atheism. By providing authority figures, it infested the movement with authoritarians. Authoritarian atheists make my teeth hurt.

This is why I like the idea that saints and messiahs only belong in religion... but alas, not everyone is willing to comply with that :x Guess they need their jeebus stand in.

Good idea.
he pronouns plz
Grimalkin

Postby maiforpeace » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:46 pm

thecynicalromantic wrote:So, to paraphrase: "You pissed of one single individual dude, therefore the entire forum of hundreds of people can't possibly accomplish a single thing of even the smallest value! Any thing that any one of these hundreds of people do in their lives that might have otherwise had value is instantly negated because you pissed off ONE DUDE."

See, this is why I hate New Atheism. By providing authority figures, it infested the movement with authoritarians. Authoritarian atheists make my teeth hurt.

I'm buying this round. :lol:
maiforpeace

Postby uncleadam » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 am

Pretty sure Matt doesn't care much about this...I've been watching his Youtube videos...he's put some thought into it, but is not overly concerned :geek:
uncleadam

Postby smhll » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:34 am

"According to what I've read..." suggests anecdotal hearsay. That doesn't impress me as a line of argument.
smhll

Postby TheDisappointed » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:55 am

trufuknplaya wrote:He has a show. I have yet to see you twits come up with anything nearly as compelling as what he does. According to what I've read, all you guys do is muck around your own little private club and say nothing compelling about atheism.

This is a discussion board. People are here for a discussion.

This is not a difficult concept. You're not doing Matt any favors by posting like this, I assure you.
TheDisappointed

Postby apxeo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:25 am

trufuknplaya wrote:He has a show. I have yet to see you twits come up with anything nearly as compelling as what he does. According to what I've read, all you guys do is muck around your own little private club and say nothing compelling about atheism.

Seriously kiddo, how much is there to fucking say about atheism?
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum (Ambrose Bierce)
apxeo

Postby Budget » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 am

maiforpeace wrote:Anyway, since a lot of people here feel screwed (not just one), I'll be generous to him and call it a draw. :roll:

I've been lurking here for weeks, and I have to say, this sort of continued arrogance is not helping your cause.

I think Atheism+ would be best served by the members of this forum realizing how badly they fucked up this whole situation. I think it's amazing that posters who aren't even engaged enough in the Atheism community to know who Dillahunty is are speaking boldly about the repercussions of Curious Matt's adventures. You should get the facts on what's up, for example how many live viewers alone TAE has on a typical Sunday (hint: it's more than your entire registered user base). No matter how many people 'round here wish it weren't so, Atheism+ unquestionably got the worse of that exchange. When the ship is sinking, incredulity isn't going to save it...patch things up and start bailing water.

And if not, like the man said : Remember this thread. You'll have no one but yourselves to blame.
Budget

Postby Cipher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:08 am

I think Atheism+ would be best served by the members of this forum realizing how badly they fucked up this whole situation. I think it's amazing that posters who aren't even engaged enough in the Atheism community to know who Dillahunty is are speaking boldly about the repercussions of Curious Matt's adventures. You should get the facts on what's up, for example how many live viewers alone TAE has on a typical Sunday (hint: it's more than your entire registered user base).

Do you understand why a lot of us aren't engaged in the fucking atheist community?
Do you understand that it's precisely because of shit like Matt pulled, and like you just pulled on Matt's behalf?
Fucking hell.
Oh, I may be on the side of the angels - but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
Cipher

Postby Kassiane » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:12 am

Matt Fucking Dillahunty screwed himself.
I hate silence when it is a time for speaking-the original Kassiane, 9C
Kassiane

Postby Flewellyn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:13 am

Budget wrote:I've been lurking here for weeks, and I have to say, this sort of continued arrogance is not helping your cause.

I think Atheism+ would be best served by the members of this forum realizing how badly they fucked up this whole situation. I think it's amazing that posters who aren't even engaged enough in the Atheism community to know who Dillahunty is are speaking boldly about the repercussions of Curious Matt's adventures. You should get the facts on what's up, for example how many live viewers alone TAE has on a typical Sunday (hint: it's more than your entire registered user base). No matter how many people 'round here wish it weren't so, Atheism+ unquestionably got the worse of that exchange. When the ship is sinking, incredulity isn't going to save it...patch things up and start bailing water.

And if not, like the man said : Remember this thread. You'll have no one but yourselves to blame.

We have apologized for the way in which WE fucked up. We acknowledged that our moderation policies needed to change, that we mods and admins need to extend good faith to new users, and that we need to fix our post approval process so that only actual spam gets screened out. These are legitimate complaints of his, and we HAVE FIXED THEM.

Thing is, he needs to meet us halfway. We've DONE our half. It's his turn.
Flewellyn
Global Moderator

Postby Grimalkin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:18 am

Guys guys guys, you're missing the point. The Atheist Experience has more viewers than we have members! That automatically makes them better!
he pronouns plz
Grimalkin

Postby murollavan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 am

Its been a long night and while I must be off to imbibe now I must say the Z-game trolling here was made me laugh. ;)
murollavan

Postby Budget » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:25 am

Cipher wrote:
I think Atheism+ would be best served by the members of this forum realizing how badly they fucked up this whole situation. I think it's amazing that posters who aren't even engaged enough in the Atheism community to know who Dillahunty is are speaking boldly about the repercussions of Curious Matt's adventures. You should get the facts on what's up, for example how many live viewers alone TAE has on a typical Sunday (hint: it's more than your entire registered user base).

Do you understand why a lot of us aren't engaged in the fucking atheist community?
Do you understand that it's precisely because of shit like Matt pulled, and like you just pulled on Matt's behalf?
Fucking hell.

I understand that you have more to learn than most, Cipher.
Your cavalier attitude and open hostility make me wonder how exactly this space is supposed to be "safe" for anyone. Perhaps your vigilante vitriol is tolerated because you toe the forum line, but it doesn't make a very positive impression on those not already in the fan club. I would further wager that there are more than a few who are in the clubhouse who would love to see you dial it down.
You're a grenade thrower, and the last thing this community needs right now is one of those.

Flewellyn wrote:Thing is, he needs to meet us halfway. We've DONE our half. It's his turn.

Is your half "done"? Truly? In, what, 48 hours you've managed to turn over a new leaf? Brought in fresh blood to help moderate these forums? Opened doors to previously closed discussions? Made new members feel welcome?

You might not be able to get a glimpse of how things look from the outside, but a lot of attention is being paid right now. People are talking about how A+ banned a rape victim and said he was better off dead. The Banned Users post is a punchline. Every suppressed debate is being noted, every banned member tallied, every condemnation of Matt for "doing something wrong" for merely conducting a personal investigation is a strike against A+. This isn't a threat, it's the truth of it, and if you find the truth threatening, act to change what people are taking away when examine your goings-on. You definitely don't make a positive impression by declaring yourselves to already be perfection.

Please, please, please, I am begging you...start making that positive impression. With so much attention being paid, with Matt saying that he's confident that you will improve, this is an opportunity that will not come again. Seize it.
Grimalkin wrote:Guys guys guys, you're missing the point. The Atheist Experience has more viewers than we have members! That automatically makes them better!

If you doubt that numbers matter to a fledgling movement like this, then perhaps you need to reconsider your position.
Budget

Postby Cipher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:29 am

I understand that you have more to learn than most, Cipher.
Your cavalier attitude and open hostility make me wonder how exactly this space is supposed to be "safe" for anyone. Perhaps your vigilante vitriol is tolerated because you toe the forum line, but it doesn't make a very positive impression on those not already in the fan club. I would further wager that there are more than a few who are in the clubhouse who would love to see you dial it down.
You're a grenade thrower, and the last thing this community needs right now is one of those.

So rather than answer my questions, you've chosen to tone-police and scold me. Fantastic. Wanna try again with the questions?
Oh, I may be on the side of the angels - but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
Cipher

Next

Return to Forum matters